There is no cost for our service due to funding support through the Queensland Government’s Department of Children, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs & Women under the Targeted Family Support program and generous donations from community members.
Please contact us if you would like to find out more about PCL and our Counselling Services, Group programs or would like to make a donation.
Finding out you are pregnant may be a time of mixed emotions for you. Changes you experience during pregnancy are not only physical, but can affect your emotional wellbeing. Talking to a counsellor can help you understand and make sense of what you are experiencing internally.
PCL Counsellors offer support with:
- Unplanned pregnancy support including pregnancy options counselling
- Perinatal mental health support including managing feelings of anxiety and depression
- Linkage to other organisations who may assist you during pregnancy
Our lives are lived in relationship – with self and others. Relationships are tested throughout many of life’s challenges, and often, seeing a supportive person, such as a counsellor, can help you to resolve your issues and help you to build stronger bonds with those who are important to you.
- Impact of an unplanned pregnancy
- Adjusting to new family roles
- Domestic and family abuse issues
- Building stronger family relationships
- Relationship breakdown
- Conflict and communication issues
- Extended family difficulties
Becoming a parent for the first time or having additional children can be an overwhelming experience for some women.
Some of the issues a PCL Counsellor can support you with include:
- Exploring parenting values
- Coping with changing identity
- Navigating impact of baby on relationships with partner/extended family/other children
- Post-natal depression or anxiety
Fertility and reproductive issues can impact heavily on a woman and on her relationships. Having a supportive network of friends and family is helpful. Sometimes, being able to talk with a counsellor can help you through the difficulties these challenges can bring.
- Difficulty achieving a pregnancy
- Impact of medical conditions on fertility
- Coping with fertility treatments
- Emotional impact of multiple pregnancy losses
- Support during unpredictable times
- Resilient relationships
- Depression and anxiety
Having support when a woman experiences a pregnancy loss can help you in your bereavement. Being able to talk confidentially to a counsellor, in a safe, supportive environment helps you to understand your emotions and to find a path to acceptance.
- Pregnancy loss through miscarriage, stillbirth or neo-natal death
- Loss of a child
- Multiple losses
- Pregnancy termination, post abortion grief
- Medical abortion mid-pregnancy
- Disenfranchised grief – a grief “that is not openly acknowledged, socially sanctioned or publicly mourned” (includes loss of a relationship, employment, possessions… etc)
- PCL provide the Koala Joeys Family Program in community settings;
- PCL participates in community and professional networking groups to share knowledge, skills and resources;
- PCL are available to present at special events, industry seminars, community forums or other community events;
- PCL offer support to other community services groups by offering free counselling services.
We encourage you to contact us to discuss ways we can support your organisation or clients.