Pregnancy Counselling Link Services
Counselling by qualified professionals by telephone, email or face to face in our Red Hill, Brisbane office.
The telephone and email counselling service is available Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm.
Face to face counselling is available Monday to Friday, from 9am to 5pm. Office hours are Monday to Wednesday from 8.00am to 4pm. An after hours’ message service is available for clients to leave their details and a counsellor will return the call as soon as possible.
There is no cost for our service due to the funding support from Queensland government. Community Education including workshops, forums and presentations.
Pregnancy and parenting
The changes you experience during pregnancy are not only physical, but can affect your emotional wellbeing, due to increasing hormones. Your journey to parenthood and beyond is a time of transition and whilst there are many rewards and joys to be had, it can also present challenges, for you personally and in your relationships. Talking to a counsellor can make a difference.
- Pregnancy support and help
- Teenage pregnancy help
- Unplanned pregnancy
- Paternity issues
- Parenting support
- Perinatal mental health
- Abortion Download our abortion information brochure (PDF)
Our lives are lived in relationship – with self and others. Relationships are tested throughout many of life’s challenges, and often, seeing a supportive person, such as a counsellor, can help you to resolve your issues and help you to build stronger bonds with those who are important to you.
- Impact of an unplanned pregnancy
- Adjusting to new family roles
- Domestic and family abuse issues
- Building stronger family relationships
- Relationship breakdown
- Conflict and communication issues
- Extended family difficulties
Navigating life changes
Changes in our lives can be instigated by ourselves or feel imposed upon us from outside influences. They can affect us personally and other members of our family.
- Becoming a parent
- Taking up a new family role – grandparent or step-parent
- Change in your relationship – separation, divorce
- Coping with yours or your loved one’s illness or disability
- Children leaving home
- Relocation of residence affecting your family
- Loss of employment, finances
- Menopausal transition
Fertility and Reproduction
Fertility and reproductive issues can impact heavily on a woman and on her relationships. Having a supportive network of friends and family is helpful. Sometimes, being able to talk with a counsellor can help you through the difficulties these challenges can bring.
- Difficulty achieving a pregnancy
- Impact of medical conditions on fertility
- Coping with fertility treatments
- Emotional impact of multiple pregnancy losses
- Support during unpredictable times
- Resilient relationships
- Depression and anxiety
Loss and Grief
Having support when a woman experiences a pregnancy loss can help you in your bereavement. Being able to talk confidentially to a counsellor, in a safe, supportive environment helps you to understand your emotions and to find a path to acceptance.
- Pregnancy loss through miscarriage, stillbirth or neo-natal death
- Loss of a child
- Multiple losses
- Pregnancy termination, post abortion grief
- Medical abortion mid-pregnancy
- Disenfranchised grief – a grief “that is not openly acknowledged, socially sanctioned or publicly mourned” (includes loss of a relationship, employment, possessions… etc)
An important aspect of PCL’s work is our community education and support to other professionals and community groups who are also in the business of providing services to women and families. Our goal is to offer counselling and education services that will support you in your work and ultimately offer valuable help to women and families in the areas of unplanned pregnancy, pregnancy support, pregnancy loss and grief and relationships.
We extend an offer to all professional groups who would like to access PCL’s services for their own organisation. This may include offering PCL’s counselling services on-site on your premises or education programs that will develop your own staff or offer valuable benefits for your patients, clients, members or students.
You can read more about our Community Education services and please call us if you would like to talk about how we can support your organisation and reach our communities.
Professional Counselling Services
Professional counselling services to support your patient or client PCL welcomes your patient or client for professional counselling services and support on any issues relating to pregnancy and reproduction. Women may exhibit signs of anxiety and stress when pregnancy hormones are escalating or if external influences are impacting on her day to day tasks. To improve a woman’s emotional well-being, she may benefit from confidential, professional counselling services.
Resources for health professionals
PCL helps health professionals help women PCL offers professional counselling services to other health professionals and referring organisations that are in the business of helping women. Our goal is to help women and their partners with any issues or concerns associated with pregnancy and reproduction. The professional counselling and education resources we can provide for you, your staff and your patients or clients, include:
- Personal counselling services
- Scheduled counselling sessions for your clients, on-site at your offices
- Informal meetings and discussions with your staff
- Education workshops for small private groups
- Presenting at business seminars and industry forums
- Brochures and educational material which we update regularly to meet the needs of our clients, referring organisations and health professional partners.
Helping schools and youth counselling
Youth counselling PCL have supported schools, educators and youth community groups over many years, offering youth counselling and expanding awareness of issues around our specialised areas of unplanned pregnancy, reproduction and relationships. An important aspect of our work is to make youth aware of the benefits of informed life choices and that professional support is available in their community if they need help or just to talk.
How can PCL help your organisation?
We have seen our role change over time as curricula and other government and community services change and evolve. Our aim is always to offer relevant and useful services that compliment your organisation and to support you in your work, in the education and provision of services to youth.
We encourage you to contact us and talk to us about how we can help support your organisation. The following suggestions may be a guide to the services we can provide:
- On-site professional counselling services for your students and youth
- Assistance for School Nursing staff, School Counsellors and Teaching Staff with delivery of curriculum requirements in the areas of pregnancy, reproduction and relationships
- Informal information sessions and discussions with your teaching staff, administration staff or facilitators
- Formal education workshops for students/youth, teaching staff and group facilitators
- Presentations at regular or special events and seminars such as Health Information Days, School Assemblies, Community Forums, Discussion Groups etc.
- Brochures and educational material which we update regularly to meet the needs of schools, universities, our community partners and referring agencies.
Services for community services groups
PCL offers support to other community services groups and Not-For-Profit organisations by offering professional counselling services to their clients and members. We provide free professional counselling and education services in the areas of unplanned pregnancy, reproduction and relationships. This includes community organisations serving Indigenous Australians and multicultural Australians, particularly pregnant women who are vulnerable to poor health and social disruption.
We can assist you by:
- Making available our professional counselling services for your members, clients and supporters by telephone, from PCL offices or on-site at your offices at scheduled times.
- Assisting with the development and delivery of your services in areas of pregnancy, reproduction and relationships
- Providing information sessions or more formal education workshops for your staff, facilitators, clients, members and supporters
- Presenting at regular or special events, industry seminars, community forums or other events that will help you, help our communities
- Participating in community and professional networking groups to share knowledge, skills and resources
- Supplying brochures and educational material which we update regularly to meet the needs of our community partners, schools and referring agencies
Please contact us if you would like to discuss ways we can support your organisation or if you would like to find out more about PCL and our Counselling and Education Services.
News & Events
Expressions of interest for Sherwood Community Centre Koala Joeys Program
Koala Joeys Family Program is a free, interactive music and movement program which focuses on empowering parents and carers to use nursery rhymes, songs, dance, relaxation and stories as a tool to form secure attachments, learn about early literacy and …